Welcome to Around the Land Downunder

Hi,

Welcome to my website - I look foward to being able to post some pictures and stories of adventures from the big cities and small towns of Europe...for the next few months anyhow. Then back to Australia and a postcard from home.


Alex

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sing once again with me! Our strange duet. My power over you, grows stronger yet....


As you know I am a fan on a good musical, big fan. In the late 19th Century, the Palace Opera was to be a focal point of Paris, located at the junction of the city's elegant new boulevards. The little know architect Charles Garnier was chosen out of 171 contestants for the job, but the project was slow to be finished due to the discovery of water underground that could not be drained away.

This gave rise to othe story of the famous "phantom of the opera," although the water is not a natural lake and the tale was imagined by the novelist Gaston Leroux. The water came from the original course of the river Seine, which once had a deeper meander before retreating to its present position.

A vivid imagination though Gaston, good one. This was my favourite tale as I soaked up the "city of light" last night....

No comments:

Post a Comment